Grandma Ople's Apple Pie:
2 Pie shells (Frozen) 9 Inches deep
6 Red delicious apples (peeled and cubed)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Butter
3 Tbs All purpose Flour
1/2 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Light brown Sugar
1/4 cup water minus 1 Tbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel & cut 6 Red Delicious Apples, set aside in large PYREX bowl.
- Melt Butter in saucepan.
- Stir in Flour to form a paste.
- Add White Sugar, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Vanilla Extract & Water.
(For the water: measure 1/4 cup and take out 1 Tablespoon of water from the 1/4 cup.)
Bring to a boil, make sure the syrup is thick!
- Mix the Syrup mixture with the apples in a large PYREX bowl.
(Save enough syrup mixture to glaze for the top of the pie crust)
(Note: Mix with your hands, will be messy but you must coat all of the apples with the syrup mixture)
- Brush bottom of crust with the egg whites ( 1 egg) to keep it from getting soggy.
- Add the Apple Mixture into Pie Crust.
- Add the top of the pie crust while frozen. Be careful! You do not want to break the crust for the top layer.
- Add decorative slits on top of crust.
- Brush the remaining Syrup on the pie crust.
(I added Pale Pink Sugar on top to coat and give a little taste. My friend bought this for me in TJ Maxx, not sure where else you can find this)
Place the pie in the oven for 1 hour. I left it in for 1 hour and 25 minutes so the apples could be soft enough.
I also brushed the syrup on twice total, once before I put it in the oven & once 30 ish minutes while it was cooking and sprinkled extra Pale Pink Sugar.
The end result.....
My two home made pies!